Around 30 people comprising sub-contractors and workers of the problematic Jalan Biawak upgrading project yesterday staged a demonstration at the road junction to demand payment for job already done.
It was the second time they demonstrated, after the first one on Christmas Eve last year, to convey their disappointment with the authorities and the former main contractor.
Their spokesman, Diet Bukoh, said the two-hour demonstration, which started at 10am, went without a hitch as they were granted a police permit.
The group of sub-contractors claimed they had yet to be paid by the former main contractor and they are questioning why action had yet to be taken by the relevant authorities such as the Public Works Department (PWD) and the Ministry of Infrastructure Development and Communication.
The Jalan Biawak project, costing RM30 million, commenced on Augt 28, 2009, and was supposed to complete on Feb 27 last year. It was meant to provide a linkage to the border post and the CIQ complex in Biawak.
However, the 18.8km long project is said to be only 30 to 50 per cent completed and has since been taken over by PWD after work was halted by the appointed contractor.
– The Borneo Post