THE STAR – An overheated oxygen pipeline that emitted smoke at the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) caused quite a scare to the patients and staff, Monday evening.

As soon as smoke was seen coming out of the cement cover just behind the Magnetic Resonance Imagine (MRI) X-Ray unit around 7.50pm, officers and staff began evacuating patients out of their wards, including the maternity ward.

According to the SGH director Dr Abdul Rahim, 339 patients from the right wing of the building were placed temporarily at the ground floor while members of the emergency and rescue team worked on the problem.

Firefighters from Batu Lintang, Tabuan and Padungan reached the scene minutes after a distress call was made and brought the situation under control.

The incident caused a temporary shut down of the affected wing, including the operation theatre and the MR1 or scanning room.

At 11pm, when the rescue team gave the green-light, all the affected patients were moved back to their respective wards.